Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Strawberry Shortcake


So my daughter has absolutely blessed me this week. Christmas is coming and there are packages under the tree and Christmas songs being sung (Drummer Boy is her fave) and a paper chain ticking off the days till she gets to open the presents under the tree.

A couple of weeks ago, Abigail and I went on a date to Mcdonalds and I bought her a happy meal (a rarity) and let her have the toy even (an even more rare occurence - I am sneaky and I keep the toys in a bag at the house for a rainy day when everyone is about to go crazy with boredome. A new toy helps). So she got the toy and tucked so thoughtfully into the packaging was a 3 x 3 inch advertisement for the new Strawberry Shortcake Berry Cafe house thing and her car and friends and all that jazz. Just in time for Christmas wish lists. Good job, whoever you are that makes Strawberry Shortcake.
So Abigail has been asking for this toy for weeks now and drools everytime we pass by it in Walmart and by the way, I LOVED Strawberry Shortcake as a kid, so I am no help. She also carries the paper with her all the time! But the thing is $30, and we already have her present and she is getting so much for Christmas from Grandparents and family that Christian, er, um, WE couldnt justify getting it for her. We explained this and she was a little sad but said it was okay because she has a My Little Pony house set. She only cries a little when she thinks about not getting it. Break my heart kid.

Well, there's the background for my real story. She was getting a bit antsy for opening her gifts the other day, so Christian had a talk with her about being thankful and patient, because we have so much but there are some little kids out there who wont get ANY gifts this Christmas. She got so sad and asked if we could buy a present for someone who wouldnt be getting a gift this year. Good girl. Christian told me about their conversation so the next morning I told her that we could go and buy a toy, and explained what Toys for Tots is. After realizing that we got to go to the store and buy a gift for some little girl who wouldnt get a gift if her own, she whips out her picture of the Strawberry Shortcake Berry Cafe and says with a pleading and excited voice, "I wanna get her THIS Mom!" I melted. What a generous heart! She had given up on having it herself but if she got to bless someone, she wanted to go big! I told Christian what she had said and he went out and bought her one right then. It is hiding in his car right now. And Abigail and I went yesterday to pick out the house (she had her advertisement in hand to ensure that she got the right thing) and we bought it and delivered it to the Toys for Tots pick up.
As we got out of the car, she was lugging this box that was almost as tall as her, and she began to cry. I stopped her and said, "Baby, dont cry. Its a happy thing to bless others." Do you know what that girl said to me!? In an incredulous voice, she looked up at me and said, "Mom, sometimes you cry because you're sad, but sometimes you cry because you're happy. Im so happy!" Really, little girl, you blow me away with your generosity and willingness to bless others and be truly happy as you give. I cant wait for Christmas morning when you open that box and see that sometimes, as we give away what means the most to us, God gives it right back just to amaze us. I love you Baby Girl. Merry Christmas.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

That is the sweetest story ever, Joleen. Abigail is such a wonderful little girl. You are obviously doing an amazing job raising her. Love you! - Jess

Jessica LaTour said...

And sometimes you cry because of a beautiful blog post about an even more beautiful little girl.

Joshie's Sweetie said...

Could this make me want to cry any more! What a little blessing of a girl:)

slyefamily said...

Thanks guys! I dont know how it happened, but I have to agree, I ended up with quite an awesome little girl.